openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Rtf to PDF conversion using openoffice
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:30:29 GMT
We actually do DOC to PDF conversion at my work. This involves running
the DOC through OOo 3.2 on the Ubuntu 10.04 server in question. (OOo
3.2 is the Ubuntu distro version, so actually Go-oo; we previously did
the same thing in OOo 3.1 on a Solaris server using Sun OOo.)

We wanted to go directly from RTF to PDF, but the RTF import filter in
any of OOo, AOO or LO was not up to the task of reading the broken RTF
generated by Apache FOP.

The way we do it is to shell out to soffice from a Perl CGI. This is
pretty heavyweight, but the conversion doesn't run very often.

(Apparently you can set up OOo and descendants to work as a daemon,
but we could never get that to work properly.)

- d.