openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 80 million downloads
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 15:54:55 GMT
Hagar,

On 01-Dec-2013, at 10:43, Hagar Delest <hagar.delest@laposte.net> wrote:

> Le 01/12/2013 16:17, Louis Suárez-Potts a écrit :
>> But our goal, or at any rate, my goal, and I think that of others on the PMC, is
to promote the qualities of AOO the product and the great community that makes it. And also
to encourage those working on anything related to join us, in this effort, in this ecosystem.

> But our promotion is one step behind LibO. Why do they get all that attention in articles?
Why hear about migration frmo a LiBO perspective, even if the migration idea started a long
time ago? They are quite good at it.

> Were they fair with AOO, I would not have any problem with that, it would be just good
competition between projects. But I can't see it like that yet. So maybe we need to be more
vocal to re-establish the facts.

> Hagar

Welcome to the world. Journalism, even outside of IT, is not about fairness nor even much
about accuracy, unless you think that those two qualities have made the Murdoch empire, for
instance, what it is. (And not just a betrayal of what one would hope for in journalism.)

Journalists, everywhere, work with what they have. LO gains attention because it fits into
a classic narrative: it satisfies the narrative of the community once downtrodden but now
resurgent, thus demonstrating the power of the people united to fend off oppression and even
succeed, despite the crushing bulk of heartless corporations.

And LO and TDF also satisfy a basic journalistic need: They present the data desired in a
form that is easy to reuse.

And, finally, LO surfs on the froth, so it is in the journalists' and editors' minds.

There are solutions to this. I've suggested a few. But we need a new subject for this discussion.

louis