openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: 80 million downloads
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 15:01:24 GMT
Le 01/12/2013 14:35, Rob Weir a écrit :
> On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the ordinary computer user has no idea of the base of underlying code
or of its source. He is only aware of the title of the package he uses, and this dominates
perception.

> True.  But what are the facts?   Our download numbers show that there
> are relatively few Linux downloads.  We have more AOO Windows users in
> Poland than Linux users worldwide.
But I guess that the download numbers don't take into account the repositories from the GNU/Linux
distros.
So what you record is only those who want to switch from the distro delivered solution to
AOO.

> As far as brand perceptions go, the data I have shows that the
> OpenOffice brand is increasing, and is far stronger than the
> LibreOffice brand [1].  In fact, some LibreOffice supporters interpret
> these numbers as indicating that many LibreOffice users mistakenly
> think that they are still using OpenOffice and refer to it as
> "OpenOffice".  That just goes to show that we have some brand
> perception paranoia on both sides!
>
> Finally, the take away from the brand perception survey is that most
> people have heard of neither OpenOffice nor LibreOffice.  That is
> where the greatest gains will gone from, increasing mainstream
> awareness of OpenOffice.
The problem is that even among the users who know about OO, LibO is gaining more and more
visibility. If all articles deal with LibO and the proclaimed death of AOO, users who are
considering moving away from MSFT will not even try to check about AOO.
FUD is becoming dangerous, especially with the kind of journalism we are seeing. Even if in
the community we know it's FUD, we can't accept it anymore.

Hagar