openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 80 million downloads
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 15:38:21 GMT
On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Hagar Delest <hagar.delest@laposte.net> wrote:
> Le 01/12/2013 14:35, Rob Weir a écrit :
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the ordinary computer user has no idea of the base of
>>> underlying code or of its source. He is only aware of the title of the
>>> package he uses, and this dominates perception.
>>>

>> True.  But what are the facts?   Our download numbers show that there
>> are relatively few Linux downloads.  We have more AOO Windows users in
>> Poland than Linux users worldwide.
>
> But I guess that the download numbers don't take into account the
> repositories from the GNU/Linux distros.
> So what you record is only those who want to switch from the distro
> delivered solution to AOO.
>

>> As far as brand perceptions go, the data I have shows that the
>> OpenOffice brand is increasing, and is far stronger than the
>> LibreOffice brand [1].  In fact, some LibreOffice supporters interpret
>> these numbers as indicating that many LibreOffice users mistakenly
>> think that they are still using OpenOffice and refer to it as
>> "OpenOffice".  That just goes to show that we have some brand
>> perception paranoia on both sides!
>>
>> Finally, the take away from the brand perception survey is that most
>> people have heard of neither OpenOffice nor LibreOffice.  That is
>> where the greatest gains will gone from, increasing mainstream
>> awareness of OpenOffice.
>
> The problem is that even among the users who know about OO, LibO is gaining
> more and more visibility. If all articles deal with LibO and the proclaimed

Again, look at the actual data cited in the link above.  OpenOffice is
gaining visibility faster than LibreOffice is.

And please acknowledge that Windows users far outnumber Linux users in
the world.  So you can then do apples-to-apples comparisons of Windows
downloads of AOO and LO on third party websites and see that this is
not even close:

AOO:  11,736 downloads in the last week (today is only Sunday,
remember, but check back later in the week to see the trend continue)

http://download.cnet.com/Apache-OpenOffice/3000-18483_4-10263109.html?tag=mncol;1

LO: 2,245 downloads in the last week:

http://download.cnet.com/LibreOffice/3000-18483_4-75337651.html?tag=mncol;1

> death of AOO, users who are considering moving away from MSFT will not even
> try to check about AOO.
> FUD is becoming dangerous, especially with the kind of journalism we are
> seeing. Even if in the community we know it's FUD, we can't accept it
> anymore.

I think you are confusing the perceptions within the echo-chamber of
open source insiders with the reality in the real world.   If you want
to do marketing in this area then you need a thick skin and be able to
do more than complain.  If you don't like the LibreOffice-promoted
stories about OpenOffice then just wait until you see the
Microsoft-promoted stories!

Regards,

-Rob