openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 80 million downloads
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 02:02:53 GMT

On 30-Nov-2013, at 18:10, Alphonso Whitfield III <awhitfield@vital-inet.com> wrote:

> I understand the message you stated is v clear but a personality associated with the
product is not a bad thing, since you have declined the role maybe someone will step up into
that role…in time
I have no doubt people will and are in fact filling in the role
But I have not declined it.

I just do not have the resources to pursue it. It takes a lot of time, which is to say, money.

For instance, it would be quite nice to have an apparatus—a web page wiki—that validates
claims about the qualities of AOO we want broadcast.

And it would be nice, very nice, to have a strategy.

That is not too much. I could surely do it, and would love to do it. But I have also to meet
my client obligations in order to actually put the bacon (or vegetarian equivalent—Quorn?)
on the table.

best
Louis

> Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan
> with The Vital Portal
>
> Alphonso Whitfield
> info@thevitalportal.com
> Vital
> 912-816-2595
> Skype: vital.i.net
>
> Visit us at:
> The Vital Portal
>
> The Vital Portal On facebook
>
> Visit our Google Community
>
> Join our Vital Portal Webinars at:
> The Vital Portal WebEx Meeting Center .

persistence. Then, I was also salaried by Sun/Oracle, though my hot efforts on behalf of the
community as such were sometimes met with cool water.

>> But I do not think the tactics of yore are the ones to pursue now.
>>

> Keep in mind that corporate successes are not necessarily
> publicly-known. I can say from first-hand knowledge that we're
> getting a good reaction to IBM's recently-announced service offering
> for AOO. But these corporations are unlikely to issue a press release
> announcing this fact. This is different from public agencies where
> their choices are a matter of public record.
>
>> I think that emphasizing, as I did, QA, innovation, and mobile options, as well as
the robust community that is reality based, is more important.

> 1+
>
> We're in a very different time than say, 2002, when open source was a
> new concept to many companies. The question is no longer, "Should we
> use open source?" but "How should we use open source?". We already
> won that first war, making open source a legitimate option. What
> remains is a more conventional kind of technology use decision, which
> considers price, of course, but also features, interop, migration,
> training, etc., costs.
>
> In any case, the thing to keep in mind is that we are in no way
> diminished if someone decides to use LibreOffice. We should feel
> good whenever anyone uses our code, whether in the original Apache
> OpenOffice or whether in the winPenPack verison, the BSD port, the
> OS/2 port, the Solaris port or in LibreOffice fork. It is all good.
>
> -Rob
>
>> Louis
>>>
>>> Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan
>>> with The Vital Portal
>>>
>>> Alphonso Whitfield
>>> info@thevitalportal.com
>>> Vital
>>> 912-816-2595
>>> Skype: vital.i.net
>>>
>>> Visit us at:
>>> The Vital Portal
>>>
>>> The Vital Portal On facebook
>>>
>>> Visit our Google Community
>>>
>>> Join our Vital Portal Webinars at:
>>> The Vital Portal WebEx Meeting Center .

Ubuntu desktop and server operating platform. .

>>> It is claiming to be getting acceptance. It is being touted by a few supposedly
prominent organizations, such as the South Tyrol org. But a few things.

>>> 1. We have IBM as a far more powerful and important contributor than LO has Ubuntu
and Canonical. We do not trumpet that affiliation as much as we could, no doubt because we
do not want to be too tightly affiliated with IBM and be seen as an appendage of IBM. I don't
think we are. But I understand the concerns.

>>> 2. We need to use actual facts related to actual usage by enterprise-class users.
Download numbers indicate, usually, individual users. These are important. But they do not
persuade a lot of larger entities. (The Bring Your Own Device phenomenon is growing and is
related to individual download numbers; but in the case of support, etc., one does, usually,
need to have an enterprise buy it or enable that market; and support is often the point of
decision for many.)

>>> And more on this tangent. The main point: facts and actual evidence.
>>>
>>> louis

(South Tyrol government to standardise on LibreOffice) and especially the quote from last
post: "We opted for LibreOffice over OpenOffice because we think this gives us more guarantees.
It has a more consistent and constantly growing community of developers and by statute has
to be independent from corporations," Pfeifer said.

uses LibO too, something that will be implemented in more and more institutions). I wonder
why AOO doesn't report similar successes.

with the LibreOffice camp, unlike many of their proponents, who may not be as connected with
the main LibreOffice core group, as (for example) list members here are with the Apache setup.

for stability or almost anything is very much an 'ad hominem' argument and can be shot down
by a vociferous and technically incompetent user (we hae seen many such, both on this list
and on the Forum(s)) who 'knows' that a computer is a 'magic box' and expects it to accomodate
his incompetence.

use by enterprises and other large-scale entities, would only help. And calling out South
Tyrol's claims wouldn't be bad, either. After all, they do not seem to be based on anything
like fact.

our (AOO) claims must always be based on facts, not on the unsupported assertions of ill-informed
journalists. In the computer press one cannot (unfortunately) insist on "right of reply",
which one usually can get in the newspapers of record.

re-do, was use a rhetoric putting MSFT in the role of Bad Guy—in this case, the analogue
would be replacing MSFT with LO.

That was then taken to levels far above my initial frame and maintained for a long while.
It showed those enterprise users we knew about, and did so per region, etc.

to critique others, exactly, but to make it easier for journalists to get the facts.

(That is: it's nifty to have other sorts of innovation but if the innovations are not actually
useful or of only limited use, then the quality of the innovation is diminished. Of course,
myopic journalists can still—and will still—simply point to the numbers, in the abstract.)

in as a replacement for whatever is there? To integrate with mobile ambitions? What languages?

by a vague claim of community but by a more identifiable body of stakeholders—that is, companies
that have staked significant business on the development and distribution and also upkeep
of AOO.
have a gazillion localizations but it's quite another to maintain them. The more that can
be said about the groups maintaining the localizations, the better; the more information,
yes, but also the more that can be revealed about their fragilities.
mobile version of AOO. Such are coming into being. The Android AOO version is, from what I
can gather, more a proof of concept than a really usable thing, though the developer is working
to change that. He sees what he has to do but is just one guy.

able to read/write ODT files (note: .odt) and also MSFT .docx files; but not the full suite's
formats. (At some point.)

point to would be factually present and would be identified as clearly as possible, that is,
without any misleading claims. Identifying these, too, would illustrate the persistent and
very much growing strength of the real community.