openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Max Merbald <max.merb...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Reporting a problem with the OpenOffice website
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 20:59:08 GMT

Am 20.01.2014 20:27, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Matt <mrsytsma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was alarmed last week to find on your download page, a rather large
>> advertisement consisting of a big green button labeled "download now"
>> which led you too the installer of some malware from another site.  I
>> came across this after my wife asked for help saying she installed
>> openoffice from your site but it wasn't to be found on her computer.
>> She had already fallen for the bait.  I almost did too as it was very
>> hard to distinguish from actual site content the way it was displayed
>> with out close examination.
>>
>> It amazed me that an organizations like yours would allow such
>> unscrupulous advertisers to misuse your name like that.  Your own site
>> warns of scams by repackagers and unaffiliated download sites but your
>> dealings with shady advertising networks on your own site puts the users
>> of open office in just as much danger.
>>
> Hi Matt,
>
> I'm sorry your wife ran into problems when trying to download OpenOffice.
>
> The "shady advertising network" you ran into was Google's, and the
> website was SourceForge's.  Both are reputable companies, I can assure
> you.  But occasionally bad ads do make it in.  We have a way to
> request their removal on a case-by-case basis.
>
> You can read more here:
> https://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge-blockthis-initiative-update/
>
> If you have a screenshot and a URL I'd be happy to send that in for
> you.  But I tried right now on the website and I'm not seeing any ads
> which match your description.   Is it possible that your wife
> downloaded from a different website?  We've seen cases where 3rd
> parties have paid for advertisements in search results, and their ads
> appear before our website does.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>
>> -Matt S

Rob,

it doesn't sound like he got it from sourceforge via Google. He wouldn't
have got a virus if it had gone that way. You couldn't know the actual
source because Matt didn't name it.

Actually, these problems about shady sources for OpenOffice combined
with malware are brought forward to the list every day and I think we
shouldn't take it too easy. I believe it would be necessary to do some
research about those distributors so that they could be stopped
exploiting users who just want to use OpenOffice. After all, those
malware things could make a bad impression on prospective user who, in
the end, decide not to use OpenOffice because they believe it generally
comes with malware or adware.

Don't you agree?

Max