openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Anything we can do about premature redistribution?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2014 19:30:11 GMT
Am 03/31/2014 11:56 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>
>> wrote:

email?

>> They
Just
>> the

>> from

>>> - chip.de
>>> - computerbase.de
>>> - softpedia.com
>>>
>>> This would be the domains from this thread that could be blocked from
>>> downloading from Sourceforge. Obviously needs to be extended in the
>> future.
>>> Remember, the next will happen with the AOO 4.1.0 RC. ;-)
>>>
>>> *Of course*, this is just for the time frame as long as the new version
>> is
>>> not officially announced. As soon as the release is public, the block
>> will
>>> be removed.
>>>
>>> @all:
>>> I think this could help to limit the downloadability like we want to see
>>> until the official release. What you think?
>>>

>> I don't know.  Won't this just cause confusion?  They point to the
>> files, go to test them, see the links don't work, and then get weird
>> errors and spend an hour trying to debug it.  We don't want to
>> needlessly annoy them, since their only fault is enthusiasm.   Is
>> there a way we can give a useful error message in this case like,
>> "This version of Apache OpenOffice has not yet been officially
>> released.  Links to these files are disallowed until the release is
>> officially approved"  or something like that?

To be honest, I don't care about a few days were a special set of
domains were not able to access for a few days. For me they are a bit
too enthusiastic. And as you said in a previous post it's to protect us
as best as possible.

> +1 This seems sufficient to me.

@Roberto:
Do you see a technical way to return a predefined error message when the
release builds are already on Sourceforge but not yet officially
released and published?

Thanks

Marcus

>> who