openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Regarding the repackaging of Windows RC builds
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 16:34:56 GMT
As you may have seen in another thread, we have to rebuild the Windows
binaries.  This is necessary to be able to install a 4.1 full
installation set over an already installed 4.0.1.  At the moment you get
a dialog with text "another version of this product is already
installed"and then the installation process is terminated.

I will try to explain the technical details, as far as I understand them.

The full installation sets of the RC build (and the release, of course)
are basically just a wrapper around an MSI file and a lot of data
files.  The MSI controls how the data files are unpacked and copied into
c:\Program Files (X86)\OpenOffice 4.  An MSI contains, among a lot of
other information, a product code and an upgrade code.  Both are UUIDs
and are used by Windows to check that the program you are installing
(Apache OpenOffice) is not already installed.  For an update from 4.0.1
to 4.1 Windows provides an alternative mechanism in from of MSP patch
files.  I have added initial support for creating MSP files to AOO in
the second half of 2013 and Juergen has built MSP files for all
languages so that we can check that these work without error.

The problem with all this is that MSIs and MSPs have competing
requirements regarding product codes and upgrade codes.  For MSPs (in
its minor upgrade variant, which lies in size and scope between small
updates and major upgrades) the product codes have to remain the same
and the upgrade code has to be different.  The identical product code
represents the Windows view that both are an OpenOffice 4 with some
minor differences.  For the MSIs the identical product code is
interpreted so that both versions are the same product.  Therefore you
are not allowed to install both at the same time.  I have to figure out
how to trigger first to uninstall the old version and then install the
new one.  I thought that that where the default but apparently I never
tested it.

In the meantime we will re-build the installation sets with randomly
chosen product codes.  They replace a previously installed 4.0.1 just as
you would expect.  The only downside with that is that when the 4.2 (or
whatever the next version will be called) is released, we will not be
able to provide a single patch that can be applied to both a 4.1
resulting from a full installation and a 4.0.1 that was patched to
version 4.1 with an MSP.  The reason for this is that the two have
different product codes and an MSP patch can only target one specific
product code. As patches are still not officially released this is
probably not a big problem.

One final detail.  To fix this problem we don't have to change any
source code. The source release remains unmodified and the SVN revision
remains the same.  We just have to go to instsetoo_native and run the
build command without the "release=t" flag and create new installation sets.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Andre