openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Extension Manager Add Crashes
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 14:56:11 GMT
On 14.04.2014 17:59, Steele, Raymond wrote:
> Anyone available that understands the OpenOffice bridges or could point me to the correct
documentation so that I can begin to understand the problem myself? This has been a road block
for me.

The OpenOffice bridges are part of the UNO framework. An overview [1]
and FAQ [2] can help to get started into this topic. Especially see the
FAQ's chapter 2.9 ("Why is it so annoying to write a compiler version
dependent C++ bridge?") on the deliberate design decisions that lead to
this unfortunate fragility. There are other applications in the same
league as OpenOffice that use their implementation languages plainly
avoiding this extreme platform dependency.

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/Article/Understanding_Uno
[2] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/FAQ
[3] http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
[4]
https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/5/5e/DevelopersGuide_OOo3.1.0_05AdvancedUNO.odt

There is a good chance that the ABI hasn't much changed and that the
different compiler versions produces similar enough code so that one
could eventually get along with minor tweaks to the Solaris Sparc UNO
C++ bridge. The links above hopefully help to find the knobs in
main/bridges/source/cpp_uno/cc*solaris_sparc* source. The related tests
in main/testtools/source/bridgetest can eventually help too.

Herbert