openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reporting a problem with the OpenOffice website
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:06:26 GMT
On 16/04/2014 Josef Latt wrote:
> Am 15.04.2014 14:13, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/ ...
>> It's intentional that the two prominent items are 4.0.1 and 4.1.0-beta.
>> Use the (now updated) "Development Builds" link on the same page for
>> latest snapshots. ...
> IMHO it's misleading if someone wants to test a developer build (Beta,
> RC) and find an outdated version at a prominent place.

4.0.1 is the version that we encourage everybody to use.
4.1.0-beta is still the version we encourage everybody to test.
4.1.0-RC3 is the version we encourage VOLUNTEERS to test.

The developer builds, RCs included, did not go through the acceptance
process the beta had (we voted on the Beta and made sure it was usable
before giving it to the public) and may have (unfortunately, did have)
major issues. So they are for another target, the project volunteers.
They are also on a server that cannot sustain a very large download
traffic. In short:
- General public should still test the beta
- Volunteers should test the RC and use the, less visible, "Development
Builds" link.

> It would be better (IMO) to place the URL to those developer versions
> with an appropiate comment.

It is there, just less visible than the "Beta" box. And this is due to
the reasons outlined above.

Regards,
   Andrea.