openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anything we can do about premature redistribution?
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:21:22 GMT
On 02/04/2014 Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> softpedia.com ... passes traffic through our download redirector flow
> ... we can indeed redirect this traffic by referrer to a
> different landing page if one is provided.

Can't we just serve a 403? It's their problem, not ours. It's not rude
at all, it's a way to protect our users: if we don't want that our
unreleased versions are purported for real releases, we need that users
only access them from a page on apache.org, on openoffice.org or e-mail
until we release them.

So matching the HTTP referer and serving a 403 unless it comes from
*.apache.org , *.openoffice.org or is empty seems the best solution to
me. If we really want to be extra-polite,
http://www.openoffice.org/download/devbuilds.html should be scary enough
for casual users.

Of course, if this is a manual operation that must be done when we enter
RC phase and undone after release, and only the SourceForge staff can do
that, then this becomes a bit complex. Or can the project members who
have access to the SourceForge area enable/disable the protection with
no need for external help?

Regards,
   Andrea.