openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Do not drop languages in minor releases
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 06:19:09 GMT
I propose that, once a language reaches our release quality criteria
(currently: UI translation at 100% and maintained), we do not drop it
afterwards for the other minor releases.

With the current criteria, even if only a few new strings appear in,
say, 4.2, this would mean that we have to drop the translations that are
not updated for 4.2. Ultimately, this would be confusing for users and
would mean that we lose an opportunity to involve new translators.

If, instead, we can consider the current 38 languages as "released in
OpenOffice 4.x" and we continue to add, and never remove, languages to
the list for all the 4.x series, this will be much better for users and
for our maintenance/infrastructure. I would remove unmaintained
languages only when version 5.0 comes.

Regards,
   Andrea.