openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Do not drop languages in minor releases
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 17:47:21 GMT
Am 04/29/2014 08:19 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> I propose that, once a language reaches our release quality criteria
> (currently: UI translation at 100% and maintained), we do not drop it
> afterwards for the other minor releases.
>
> With the current criteria, even if only a few new strings appear in,
> say, 4.2, this would mean that we have to drop the translations that are
> not updated for 4.2. Ultimately, this would be confusing for users and
> would mean that we lose an opportunity to involve new translators.
>
> If, instead, we can consider the current 38 languages as "released in
> OpenOffice 4.x" and we continue to add, and never remove, languages to
> the list for all the 4.x series, this will be much better for users and
> for our maintenance/infrastructure. I would remove unmaintained
> languages only when version 5.0 comes.

Ah, I've a deja vu from the old OOo project. ;-)

There we had a similar problem to solve. It was agreed that 80% was
enough for a language to get own install files.

But of course I don't want to propose that also today 80% is enough.

When we have just a handful of strings not localized, I don't care.
And if this results in just 99% or 98%, I don't care.

For me it starts with how many words are enough *and* how active the NL
community is. E.g., if many are missing but there is a clear indication
of activity, we should ask them for a status and how they want to fix
the missing translation - or somehow in this way. And then act on the
feedback.

However, to keep the 100% strict and therefore keep the eyes only on
numbers is not helping here.

My 2 ct.

Marcus