openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Do not drop languages in minor releases
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 22:28:05 GMT
Am 04/29/2014 07:57 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> +1, not requiring 100% UI (which is quite easy to do for any translator)
>>> is
>>> a dangerous path.
>>>
>>> Nobody can today say when we do the next major release (5.x) meaning
>>> translations<   100% could be ongoing for a long period. For a minor
>>> release, its typically only a handful of messages that are changed, so it
>>> not a big workload for any individual.
>>

>> However, from the view point of a normal user who just wants to update to
>> the next version, it would be confusing why no localized install file is
>> available anymore.
>>
>> So, from my side a clear +1 to keep these languages.
>>
>> How much we allow to be under 100% is just a question of definition (and
>> agreement). ;-)
>>

> We want quality releases.   % translation is part of quality, of
> course.  But there are other aspects as well.  Certainly looking at %
> completeness is easy for to measure, but it is not necessarily the
> best criterion.
>
> We want to avoid a situation where a translation is rushed and done
> poorly, in order to meet an arbitrary % goal.  I'd rather have a high
> quality 95% than a low quality 100%.

You should have replied to my other mail. ;-) It seems we have the same
direction of the vision.

> Of course, PMC members do not know all languages.  So we need to rely
> on the translators and the local community.   Maybe we can make a
> criterion from that?
>
> For example:
>
> If a translation is more than X% complete, AND if that language was
> downloaded in the beta release more than Y times, AND the RC was
> reviewed by the translator and Z other community members to vouch for
> having usable level of quality, then we include it in a release.

Yes, sounds good.

> Or some other way of having the local community take ownership of
> making this decision.

What about to include another AND:

AND ZZ the language has recent activity on Pootle.

Even when the language is a bit far away from 100%, with activity on
Pootle we can be sure (somehow) that the language is maintained.

Marcus