openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Steele, Raymond" <raymond.ste...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Extension Manager Add Crashes
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:28:20 GMT
Thanks AGAIN, Herbert.

Is there any significance to the following trace output:

Trace 23946/1: "error: osl_getAsciiFunctionSympol failed with ld.so.1: soffice.bin: fatal:
component_getImplementationEnvironmnet: can't find symbol

 I see this a lot while OpenOffice is launching. It appears to happen right before SAL_CALL
uno_getMapping is called.

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert Duerr [mailto:hdu@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:14 AM
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Cc: api@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Extension Manager Add Crashes

On 14.04.2014 17:59, Steele, Raymond wrote:
> Anyone available that understands the OpenOffice bridges or could point me to the correct
documentation so that I can begin to understand the problem myself? This has been a road block
for me.

The OpenOffice bridges are part of the UNO framework. An overview [1] and FAQ [2] can help
to get started into this topic. Especially see the FAQ's chapter 2.9 ("Why is it so annoying
to write a compiler version dependent C++ bridge?") on the deliberate design decisions that
lead to this unfortunate fragility. There are other applications in the same league as OpenOffice
that use plain implementation languages and thus avoid these extreme platform dependencies.

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/Article/Understanding_Uno
[2] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/FAQ
[3] http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
[4]
https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/5/5e/DevelopersGuide_OOo3.1.0_05AdvancedUNO.odt

There is a good chance that the ABI hasn't much changed and that the different compiler versions
produces similar enough code so that one could eventually get along with minor tweaks to the
Sparc Solaris UNO bridge. But finding the right knobs to tweak is a bit tricky. I hope the
references above help to solve this.

Herbert