openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Steele, Raymond" <raymond.ste...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Extension Manager Add Crashes
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:16:20 GMT
Herbert,

Why do you mention the Solaris Sparc UNO C++ bridge below. Is it related to the x86/intel
bridge. I am running Solaris 11 x86_64.

Raymond

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert Duerr [mailto:hdu@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:56 AM
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Cc: api@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Extension Manager Add Crashes

On 14.04.2014 17:59, Steele, Raymond wrote:
> Anyone available that understands the OpenOffice bridges or could point me to the correct
documentation so that I can begin to understand the problem myself? This has been a road block
for me.

The OpenOffice bridges are part of the UNO framework. An overview [1] and FAQ [2] can help
to get started into this topic. Especially see the FAQ's chapter 2.9 ("Why is it so annoying
to write a compiler version dependent C++ bridge?") on the deliberate design decisions that
lead to this unfortunate fragility. There are other applications in the same league as OpenOffice
that use their implementation languages plainly avoiding this extreme platform dependency.

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/Article/Understanding_Uno
[2] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/FAQ
[3] http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
[4]
https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/5/5e/DevelopersGuide_OOo3.1.0_05AdvancedUNO.odt

There is a good chance that the ABI hasn't much changed and that the different compiler versions
produces similar enough code so that one could eventually get along with minor tweaks to the
Solaris Sparc UNO
C++ bridge. The links above hopefully help to find the knobs in
main/bridges/source/cpp_uno/cc*solaris_sparc* source. The related tests in main/testtools/source/bridgetest
can eventually help too.

Herbert