openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Steele, Raymond" <raymond.ste...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Extension Manager Add Crashes
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:05:26 GMT
Herbert,

My system appears to be using the bridge located here.  I will try to see if I can look at
the evolution of the other bridges as you suggested.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/branches/AOO401/main/bridges/source/cpp_uno/cc50_solaris_intel/

Thanks again for all you assistance!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert Duerr [mailto:hdu@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:12 AM
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Extension Manager Add Crashes

On 16.04.2014 01:16, Steele, Raymond wrote:
> Why do you mention the Solaris Sparc UNO C++ bridge below. Is it related to the x86/intel
bridge. I am running Solaris 11 x86_64.

Ah, ok. Looking at the directory main/bridges/source/cpp_uno there is no UNO bridge yet for
Solaris Studio on a x86-64 CPU. But apparently your compile got through, so in order to know
where to tweak you need to find out which bridge was actually used. Then you can adapt it
to your platform (operating system, compiler, cpu architecture, ABI).

As I mentioned the platform independence of AOO's UNO subsystem was unfortunately not designed
in e.g. by using plain programming language constructs or using portable mechanisms like C-linking.
Getting a bridge to work was accomplished by brute force :-/ (reverse engineering the vtable
layouts, symbol mangling, calling conventions, implementation details of exception handling,
etc.) but if we're lucky a few tweaks to the currently active bridge could suffice.

For an idea on what tweaks might be needed please check the evolution of the related x86-64
bridges for Linux, FreeBSD or MacOSX.

Herbert