openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Misleading Mac message
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 19:23:29 GMT
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 02:14:00PM -0400, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>>> Another broken thing in MacOSX are C++ extensions, I have seen any
>>> mention of this in the release notes.
>>>

>> Ariel;
>>
>> If you can you point me to any discussion of this problem for MaxOSX
>
> AFAIK there hasn't been any discussion on the topic, but is a logical
> consequence of switching the arch. from 32 to 64 bit.
>
>> I will add an action item to my to-do list to make a mention of this
>> in the release notes for the next release.
>
> The scenario is the following:
>
> - the user installed in 4.0.* an extension based on code written in C++,
>   for example the PDF Import extension for Apache OpenOffice. OpenOffice
>   and the extension code are both 32 bit on MacOSX
> - the user upgrades to 4.1.0, which is now 64 bit
> - OpenOffice 64 bit will use the same user profile as the previous 32
>   bit version, there is no profile migration; thus this profile contains
>   a 32 bit extension that will not work with the new 64 bit OpenOffice.
>   The Extensions Manager will display the 32 bit extension as disabled.
>

> Regards

Greetings Ariel;

Thank you for the concise and understandable explanation. This sounds to
me like something that should have gone into the 4.1 Release Notes as a
known issue. I will definitely file it away for the next release and
will also start another thread here as to whether we should add it to
the 4.1 notes.

Regards
Keith