openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <kelly...@gmail.com>
Subject Why is it so hard to make a Java program appear native?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2014 07:59:40 GMT
An interesting discussion I came across today:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/why-is-it-so-hard-to-make-a-java-program-appear-native/

(and yes I realise OO doesn't use Java for it's UI, but the points raised apply to all cross-platform
UI toolkits).

Question: To what extent is the OO UI frontend code separate from the backend editing, file
format handling, and rendering code? I'm thinking in particular here of mobile - which demands
a completely different approach to user experience design than desktop. Could OO conceivably
be adapted to mobile by replacing its UI?

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
Founder, UX Productivity

PGP key: http://www.kellypmk.net/pgp-key