openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OOXML
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2014 15:06:50 GMT

> On 2014-08-02, at 10:24, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
>
> The Support that is done is to receieve OOXML not to produce them, the
> discussion issue would be to support legacy formats like .doc or .xls.
>
> I still dont see a point to generate OOXML and most people dont care
> as long as they can send in office native formats.
>
> I never heard someone saying, please send it on docx, your doc is a
> closed binary format.

Actually, I have. But it also matters on mobile, as well as, I'd guess, for some developing
processes for batch conversion of documents. Finally, it's not evident to me that refusing
to develop to what is likely to become the major desktop document format globally—alas—is
a good strategy that would lead to the adoption of OO. Rather, it seems it would only help
those applications that do (express) both ODF *and* .docx well.

louis