openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why is it so hard to make a Java program appear native?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:08:39 GMT
On 11 August 2014 09:59, Peter Kelly <kellypmk@gmail.com> wrote:

> An interesting discussion I came across today:
>

> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/why-is-it-so-hard-to-make-a-java-program-appear-native/
>
> (and yes I realise OO doesn't use Java for it's UI, but the points raised
> apply to all cross-platform UI toolkits).
>
> Question: To what extent is the OO UI frontend code separate from the
> backend editing, file format handling, and rendering code? I'm thinking in
> particular here of mobile - which demands a completely different approach
> to user experience design than desktop. Could OO conceivably be adapted to
> mobile by replacing its UI?

If you look at especially module svl, you will see how we use a meta
language to define the UI items. We can change what the UI language
generates pretty easy, and it is also pretty easy to change the layout
itself.

However the semantic, the editing is buried deep in the process model of
AOO, there are no clear seperation between functionality and
representation, as you would do in a modern program.

rgds
jan I.