openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: Link to oooforum
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2014 00:55:38 GMT
More accurately, the owner is generally non-responsive (he is really
busy and does not have much time for a hobby forum).

The forum is currently hosted on machines that prevent him from granting
admin rights to the forum proper and I assume that he does not have
things properly virtualized to allow sufficient access to update the
forum proper (and no time to make this happen).

The problem with fighting the spam is that the moderators and "admins"
are fighting spammers that can compromise the old forum software at will
so with a volume of spam bots posting at will, it is a losing battle.

The owner told me on the phone that he was willing to do something about
this (like allow a transfer, or help, or something), but I understand
that he was not responsive when he was contacted again. When I last
called him just to see if he was alive (really, I thought he might have
died), he was surprised that the site had not been functional in about a
month and said that he had not seen my email to him. For all I know, it
was auto-filtered to spam.

I was just looking at the site, and, the first spammer listed had over
500 spams posted. The only way I have to remove spam is one thread at a
time. So, I would need to spend at least an hours (if I were able to
remove 1 thread every 6 seconds manually). That is a single spammer /
user. It would be more doable if I were able to simply remove every
message from a specific user, but I don't have that ability.

On 08/31/2014 05:23 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> So you got feedback from them, and they denied?
>
> I mean this forum could need some help, the download widget on the
> cover still point to 2.4.0 and many links are abandoned projects like
> OOoMath and such.
>
> On 8/31/14, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>>> As I recollect the flood of spam was such that it defeated several
>>> experienced moderators working together. It may be impossible for one
>>> moderator to handle on his own.
>> I know you both know, but for the benefit of the casual reader, we are
>> not talking about the official forum, but about a third-party forum
>> which is not under control of the project. We started some talks to tell
>> the maintainers that we may help if needed, but we haven't come to a
>> conclusion yet. So the project does not have access to that forum and
>> can't promote users to moderators.
>>
>> Regards,
>>     Andrea.

Andrew Pitonyak