openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Concerns about the AOO community
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 15:55:58 GMT
A side comment.  It seems that it has escaped everyone's attention that the latest release(s)
of LibreOffice are not under [L]GPL.  The releases are under MPL 2.0 (the Mozilla license).

The LibreOffice codebase itself is now a combination of Apache licensed code (from guess where?)
and MPL 2.0 modifications.  It appears to me that the source code is now multi-licensed (not
dual-licensed) under both Apache License 2.0 (for the base code) and MPL (for the changes
made by the TDF to make their core source code).

I agree that the osmosis between the projects is still one-way and it is not easy to change
because the contributors to LibO have only granted a dual MPL and LGPL license to their contributions.
 TDF has taken the MPL option.  That is still toxic for incorporation as source code in any
Apache Software Foundation Project code base.

With regard to potential remedies, I am in complete accord with Ian's appraisal.  Especially
for matters applicable to the interoperable usage of ODF, the lack of cooperation is very
troublesome and may, if not addressed, be fatal to both projects.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lynch [mailto:ianrlynch@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 2, 2014 05:47
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Concerns about the AOO community

It would be better for the projects to merge, but the details (license,
community)  clearly matter a lot to some people. If there was a better
spirit of cooperation most of the effort could go into AOO with just some
minor things for the GPL version derived from it in an agreed way so that
that could satisfy the needs of that particular market. But to do that we
would have to get a lot more trust and "friendliness" between the two
projects. It doesn't seem too likely at present.

[ ... ]