openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Concerns about the AOO community
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 18:09:10 GMT
What gets me about development is that the most contorted possible ever development process
is builds for Windows, yet a lot of interest is from people who want that case to work.  And,
of course, we know that the sweet spot for Apache OpenOffice adoption is on the Windows platform.

It is clear why that disparity exists, but the result is an awkward situation, especially
for attracting developers and testers.

I have no idea how to streamline the build and also get to where there is an x64 release also.
 My brain melts when I even consider it and I have avoided going through the developer training
materials.  My bad.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Roman Sausarnes [mailto:romansausarnes@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:26
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Concerns about the AOO community

Hello,

As a newcomer to development who is looking for a way to get involved in
one project or the other, I thought I would share my impressions.

The LibreOffice website and development materials seem friendlier to
newcomers. It is easier to navigate and find simple instructions for how to
get the code, set up a development environment, or contribute in other
ways. I use a Mac, and almost right away I found a detailed set of
instructions that was (relatively) current for how to build LO for the
first time on my machine.

[ ... ]