openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Alain Sanguinetti <al...@sanguinetti.eu>
Subject Re: Concerns about the AOO community
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 17:46:30 GMT
Le 02.10.2014 19:38, Alexandro Colorado a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Roman Sausarnes
> <romansausarnes@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As a newcomer to development who is looking for a way to get involved
>> in
>> one project or the other, I thought I would share my impressions.
>>
>> The LibreOffice website and development materials seem friendlier to
>> newcomers. It is easier to navigate and find simple instructions for
>> how to
>> get the code, set up a development environment, or contribute in other
>> ways. I use a Mac, and almost right away I found a detailed set of
>> instructions that was (relatively) current for how to build LO for the
>> first time on my machine.
>>
>> The AOO website is confusing and disorganized for people approaching
>> it for
>> the first time and some of the information is outdated. I still
>> haven't
>> found simple instructions for how to build on a Mac. I have found a
>> set of
>> instructions but they are confusing, appear to be outdated, and
>> suggest
>> that I need to install older Xcode, etc., without any suggestions or
>> resources on how to do it, if it is really necessary, etc.
>>

> ​Can you please be more explicit on this. From our angle, we create
> modules
> so that people could easily find the right information of the way they
> want
> to contribute. Going to www.openoffice.org and selecting you want to
> contribute will lead you to a series of tutorials on how to better get
> involved. Development starts with building for different platforms,
> including OSX.
>
> All in all is 4 clicks:
> Homepage -> Contributing page -> Development -> Building -> OSX (
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Building_on_MacOsX
> )
>
> The instructions are for 4.1 so they are pretty current. ​

I am a newcomer as well to the Apache OpenOffice community and I have
the same feeling.
One thing that struck me is the number of websites/wiki that exists.
You have openoffice.org. ( which actually looks a little different from
openoffice.org/fr ! )
Then you have http://openoffice.apache.org
And there are Confluence and MediaWiki Wikis.
All websites looks great but I think it needs consolidation at one
place.

But the new volunteer orientation modules are great.