openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: Concerns about the AOO community
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 18:18:00 GMT
On 10/2/14, Roman Sausarnes <romansausarnes@gmail.com> wrote:
> I swear I am technically savvy, but I have not found an easy link to the
> materials you reference.
>
> I start at the homepage - www.openoffice.org
>
> I click on "I want to participate in OpenOffice" link which takes me here:
> http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html
>
> I clink on the New Volunteer Orientation Modules
> <http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html> link which takes me
> here: http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html
>
> I click on the Introduction to Development
> <http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html> link
> which takes me here:
> http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html
>
> I click on the Building Guide
> <http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO> link
> which takes me here:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
>
> That page has no instructions for how to build on Mac OS X, but it does
> have a link titled Step-by-Step Building Guide for Different Platforms
> <http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step>
> which
> of course looks very promising.
>
> But when you click on that link, it takes you here:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step
>
> And that page offers detailed instructions for Ubuntu and Windows, but has
> no links whatsoever to any materials regarding Mac OS X.
>
> When I click on the link that you provided, I see the requirements for Mac
> OS X and I see how to get started that is very helpful.
>
> But compare that to the LibreOffice materials. I google "LibreOffice on Mac
> OS X" and I get the following link:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnMac
>
> I go to that link and it has step by step instructions on what to do.
>
> I'm smart enough to be able to find what I am looking for, but I'm just
> saying that as a total newcomer to both projects LibreOffice made it much
> easier.

Perhaps the thinking was that mantaining 3 guides is more dificult
than having just 1 guide with annotation for each platform.

However it only took me a few seconds figuring out where the OSX
information was. But if you think that mantaining 3 guides is the way
to go, you can make the comment at doc@openoffice

There are also some formating that could definetly help like having
special alerts and notes for the wiki which you can find here:
{{Documentation/Caution| some text }}
{{Documentation/Notes| some text }}