openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: grammar for StarMath
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 08:18:05 GMT
Hi Dennis,

thank you for looking at it. But I'm looking for a BNF or other form of
derivation rules or any kind of informal specification.

The exported MathML is known to have structural deficits, for example 'a
+ 2 b' will result in
       <mrow>
         <mi>a</mi>
         <mo stretchy="false">+</mo>
         <mn>2</mn>
       </mrow>
       <mi>b</mi>
which is a structure '{a+2} b',
where it should be a structure 'a + {2 b}'.

It is a long-term task (in which I'm interested) to get a better
representation of the formulas in MathML and so be able to drop
StarMath. And therefore I'm looking for some developer information about
StarMath. If such does not exist, the way through examining code and
examples will be harder.

Kind regards
Regina

Dennis E. Hamilton schrieb:
> I have an incomplete result.  You may have already explored this.
>
> First, saving an AOO Formula (.odf) as a StarMath 5.0 Formula (.smf) does not seem to
be exported.  There is no import for it either.

>    You can still save as an OpenDocument.org .sxm formula or an ODF Formula (.odf).
They are nearly identical.

> Both .sxm and .odf are Zip Packages and nearly identical.  In particular, the content.xml
is a MathML formula that has a StarMath 5.0 formula as an annotation.  It is exactly the same
formula that you end up editing in the lower window of the Apache OpenOffice Math (or LibreOffice
Math) application.  So the upper window shows the MathML rendering, and the lower window shows
the StarMath 5.0!  And the content.xml carries both.

> In effect, the Elements Tool and the hand editing that you do is creating StarMath that
is then displayed via MathML in the upper, graphical-formula window.

> That doesn't provide the StarMath grammar except by example, but it is a way to build
them experimentally and see.

> Finally, this led me to the Help Topic "Math formula editor" and click the Formulas link
to get to "Welcome to the OpenOffice Math Help" page.  The subtopic "Formula Reference Tables"
seems to be the key.  The color function is under "Attributes".