openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Malte Timmermann <malte_timmerm...@gmx.com>
Subject Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:23:52 GMT
Hi Louis,

On 28.10.2014 21:12, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> Hi Malte,
>> And you are right wrt many early developers working for Open-Xchange now :)
>
> Yes, and perhaps one day we’ll even see something (I joke; there is already something).

Actually everyone can look at the demo version of App Suite, including
OX Text and OX Spreadsheet:

http://www.open-xchange.com/demo

>> Same focus - Office productivity, ODF and OOXML.
>
> Hm. You might want to share with us what’s going on over there….

See below :)

>> Just different technology - now written for the browser.
>
> Right. Can you edit in the browser? I mean, edit ODF or OOXML docs. using, for instance,
Chrome or Firefox or Safari?

Exactly. ODF and OOXML are our natively supported formats that we can
edit in the browser. Text and Spreadsheet are already available.

We work on the documents very different compared to Open Office or MS
Office. One of our most important features is the document roundtrip.
You can safely switch between editing with OX Documents and editing with
your native application. And we have real-time communication to quickly
distribute changes to other clients.

I just wrote a blog post that explains the technical details how we
achieve it.

> http://techblog.open-xchange.com/2014/11/13/ox-documents-roundtrip-and-operations/

Best regards
Malte.