openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Admin rights to Pootle
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 23:16:31 GMT

On 13/11/2014 22:58, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> jan i wrote:
>> On 13 November 2014 18:43, Michal Hriƈ wrote:
>>> OK. I'm asking because I think that Andrea is only one person, who
>>> creates
>>> Pootle accounts for new volunteers
>
> I'm not the only one who can, but I'm the only one who does. When I
> created the accounts that were requested earlier today, I took note of
> the needed steps. These may be helpful to any other admins in future,
> and they are at the bottom of this message.
>
>>> and I'm not sure if volunteers comes
>>> back if they don't have created account immediately.
>
> Jan is right, technically there is no reason for that and they can be
> immediately productive by making suggestions as anonymous. Still, this
> is clearly not working. Maybe we are not clear enough, maybe
> volunteers don't like that: but we must make everything as smooth as
> possible.
Actually that worked for a long time with the danish translation.

But I have zero problem with the way you have handled account
creation....its now how I would have done it, but it has been done
correctly.

>> In my opinion its nice to see work from a person, before that person is
>> allowed to write and change directly. 99% are good people, but the 1%
>> (or
>> less) can made damage that takes a lot of time to repair.
>
> We are now consolidating the localization community. Many languages
> have at least one responsive translator. We could discuss a new model
> where we create an account immediately but (for languages that already
> have active, responsive volunteers) we don't give the right to submit
> translations, only suggestions. And then an already trusted translator
> vouches for the quality of suggestions and asks that the new volunteer
> is given full rights.
+1, my intention was simply to have someone vouch for the quality. BUT
as mentioned above account creation have been handled differently, and I
have no problem with that.

> Again, ApacheCon is an excellent moment to discuss this. Three Pootle
> admins (jani, jsc and me) are also OpenOffice committers so they know
> how things work in OpenOffice, and two of them (jani and me) will be
> there. I can see 7 Pootle admins in total. Jan, if you believe that it
> is possible to gather some of them (even just you and me, but if we
> manage to be 4, even better) at ApacheCon to discuss how to handle new
> accounts and administration, I'm surely available for a dedicated
> meeting: localization is an important and well-working part of our
> community, and it must have priority.
yes. ACEU is a good place.

Please dont forget a pootle admin can change ALL projects. I believe
(know might be more correct) that AOO is the only project that allows
non-committers to have accounts, so this is a special AOO problem. But
again I have no problem with the account creation as AOO have handled it
(after the discussion on security level).

I do however have a problem with adding more admins (infra in general
might see this differently), and I am strongly against having
non-committers as admins.

For reference I am doing pottle maintenance from time to time, but for
all apache projects.

rgds
jan i.