openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: html code generated from Open Office
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 21:17:23 GMT
Just a short note about tables in paragraphs, ...

 -- replying below to --
From: Howard Morris (aka Col Boogie) [mailto:Howard_Cary_Morris@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:41
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: html code generated from Open Office

[ ... ]

I also remember seeing emails about trouble with Open Office Math.
>From using it, it looks like LaTex code.

<orcmid>
   Well, it looks a little like TeX, but it isn't TeX.
   It goes back to how StarMath was conceived.  Regina
   can provide much more about that.
</orcmid>
Editing Open Office Writer in Word and saving it in .odt format, the LaTex code gets changed.
It would be nice if we added an insert a “Greek letter” as a Math options panel.
If anyone wants to redo it, I know how to write math expressions using native html.
Basically I use an (inline) table to hold all the symbols.
I do realize that currently Open Office cannot have a table in the middle of a paragraph.
However, I think we can sneak  in a construct.

<orcmid>
  In the ODF Schema, table elements are text-content, not paragraph-content.
  There are ways to introduce text content in certain paragraph-content elements,
  such as with text frames.  If you want to roam around in the schema, this
  might be fun for you: <http://nfoworks.org/notes/2014/05/n140504f.htm>.

  However, I think using MathML and full Unicode for symbols may be better in
  that particular case.
</orcmid>

Howard