openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nominations for a new PMC Chair
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:19:46 GMT
Hi,

> On 14 Jan 2015, at 07:17, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 14/01/2015 jan i wrote:
>> I decline my nomination for personal reasons and are not voteable.
>
> Copy-pasting the same remark I sent on this list about the other four, I respect your
choices and your reasons not to run, but I would like to acknowledge you (and all nominees,
and a "couple more people") as key people to the continued success of the project.

Actually, I just wrote to Jan privately and asked him to reconsider his resignation, as I
believed the conditions he had put on his candidacy were difficult and that it would be better
to go through the ritual of democracy, first.

> And looking at the future: Louis, as the only remaining candidate at this stage, do you
confirm you are still a candidate, i.e., that you haven't changed your mind? Sorry for the
odd question, but we've seen lots of surprises so far and before checking procedural issues
for this unusual one-candidate-only election I prefer to verify that we still have a candidate.

I actually have not changed my mind, though I should hope that Jan has or will; or if he does
not, that others might wish to enter the election.

My reason for wanting to move ahead is that I do not see what is being gained by delay or
by these surprises *before* the election. The chair role is mostly an admin role; as Rob pointed
out, it doesn’t magically change anything regarding the resources we have to draw upon.
That’s up to us. So I’d much, much rather get on with the job of marshalling resources
*as a community* and be done with this election. If we want another election, then let’s
have another one; I personally have no issues with that.

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Best,
Louis