openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Nominations for a new PMC Chair
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2015 21:57:16 GMT
As I wrote yesterday, it's time to start looking for a new PMC Chair
that can replace me (only for these specific duties; I'll of course
continue with all my other activities, that are the vast majority) when
applicable. We are not in a hurry as I will take care of the January
Board report, but it's good to start moving.

Let's take several days, until 10 January, to receive nominations (or
self-nominations) for the next PMC Chair. Just reply to this e-mail with
nominations.

My duties as a Chair cover only a minimal part of my activity in
OpenOffice, so it's good that I point out what is expected of a Chair:
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

1) The Chair is the interface between the Project Management Committee
and the Apache Board. The Chair takes responsibilities for the quarterly
report https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Board+Reports

2) The chair is a facilitator and their role within the PMC is to ensure
that everyone has a chance to be heard and to enable meetings to flow
smoothly. There is no concept of "leader" in the Apache way.

3) After the project has elected new committers or PMC members, the
Chair is responsible for the needed updates to the Apache LDAP groups.

So please go on with your nominations. We don't have strict rules about
eligibility. As I verified, nominees needn't be PMC members, since they
can be admitted to the PMC as part of their election. They needn't be
OpenOffice committers either, but in practice the new Chair needs to
have a good knowledge of the project, so I see it reasonable (but again,
not mandatory) that the new Chair is chosen among the OpenOffice
committers: http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#openoffice

Regards,
   Andrea.