openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nominations for a new PMC Chair
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:02:25 GMT
On 11/01/2015 Marcus wrote:
> IMHO this PMC is more quite
> than others inside Apache projects. So, I wouldn't see this as a sign
> that they won't follow you. Only direct talkings can help to judge this.

It is important that the PMC understands that, according to both
candidates, the way the OpenOffice PMC operated so far will have to
change. This is not necessarily linked to the fact that we will have a
new PMC Chair, but both candidates want to see a different PMC. I want
it too! But it's just appropriate that the new PMC Chair will drive this
purely internal change. And we all (the whole community, I mean) must be
sure to have understood this in advance.

Let me take a risk and try to summarize what either candidate would like
to see changed, from their mails. And then let them expand on my summary
and amend it as needed. It is very important that things are clear, so I
think we can take the time to clarify it before voting.

Louis is saying that the PMC Chair should use his authority to grow the
project. He sees the Chair role as "enabling others" (rather than
working in isolation or being a lead): work efficiently and
collaboratively to realise our visions of Apache OpenOffice's future. We
also need to focus on marketing efforts toward companies and government
agencies who are already using (or considering to use)  OpenOffice. Let
me add, while it doesn't seem revolutionary, this view of the PMC
implies quite a change: OpenOffice so far depended more on the patience
and the efforts of several individuals rather than being a concerted action.

Jan is saying that his main effort would be to push hard for action and
changes, stop talking (as a community) and start doing. He thinks the
whole "OpenOffice ecosystem", including derivatives, is facing a lack of
resources that requires changes in attitude. We, as OpenOffice, need to
show results fast, including a 2-months restructuring of the PMC where
we ask everybody to either confirm that he/she is still interested in
driving the project forward, or leave the PMC. He came to the point of
writing that it's useless that he runs unless the PMC understands these
guidelines.

So, please Louis and Jan do correct me if I summarized your intentions
in a wrong way, and others please make sure you are aware of what is
going to change with this vote (other than the obvious replacement of
the PMC Chair). And then I'll call the vote when we are all informed
enough! And thanks again to both Louis and Jan for bringing a fresh
perspective, I haven't acknowledged you explicitly for it but I agree
with Marcus that while we are quiet we do read and think. Anyway, it's
better to be sure that we are ready to vote.

Regards,
   Andrea.