openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nominations for a new PMC Chair
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2015 00:32:10 GMT
Hi Everybody,
I’m a candidate for PMC Chair…. And more below.

> On 6 Jan 2015, at 13:33, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Each of the (current and future) nominees should answer this mail in public and state
very briefly:

The PMC Chair is ostensibly an administrative position. It’s certainly that, but it also
vests its holder with an authority that can be used to grow the project.

That, at least, is one way I should like to use it, should I be elected. If elected, I could
serve for at least one year and probably more. OpenOffice has been my life for a very long
time; it—the community and what it can accomplish with a free tool as powerful as OpenOffice
and the ODF—is something I believe in and love.

But so do we all. I don’t see myself as working in isolation or as the “lead.” Hardly;
I see the role as enabling others. I have a notion of where I would like to see OpenOffice—but
so do you. And so does Jan. What would be great is if we could work efficiently and collaboratively
to realise our visions of Apache OpenOffice’s future.

Growing the community of contributors and uses is something I have some experience doing.
But what worked with OpenOffice.org, like the Native Language Projects, were created under
different circumstances. AOO is not OOo: it’s more of a community effort. And it operates
within the Apache Software Foundation.

These are plusses and the opportunities they present to would-be contributors can be communicated
to those companies and government agencies who are already using OpenOffice and those who
are considering using it. We have not focused on such marketing efforts, and I would like
to do so.

We also need … so many other things. Updated documentation for developers, for instance;
more mentoring and training (at whatever level); and so on: not news. Engaging the community
that we have and that we will have is part of the fun I’d like to take on, though I’d
reframe it by emphasising that it’s actually our fun.

I also believe that we need to explore collaboration with The Document Foundation and LibreOffice.
I’ve always argued we should. No one benefits by maintaining this split. (Oh, arguably,
the proprietary products reap in yet more billions. But they would anyway.) I have no illusions
about any reconciliation or collaboration. But I also believe that the overall community of
users stands to gain hugely.

More can be said, and I hope it is. But not now.

Cheers,
Louis

---

Louis Suárez-Potts