openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] #2 Organization around Capacity/Accountability
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:22:51 GMT
Since resolving Priority #1, we have not returned to Andrea's list of priorities.

The #2 from the list seems critical to everything else.

   2) Internal reorganization: people say what they are going to
      do to drive the project forward (so an "active" approach
      rather than the "I don't have time, but someone should..."
      approach which is not working).

I started looking at this for myself and have to face what my capacities are and where I can
commit myself.  I am still looking at what I have to say for myself. I know that I have far
more interests than capacity and I must see what I can do to provide a realistic statement.

It is different to separate out areas of concern.  We all have many concerns and desires concerning
Apache OpenOffice.  Rather, we want to look at where each of us, can act directly and influence
the course of the project by direct contributions that are in our power to make.

 - Dennis

LONGER LITTLE ESSAY

I think each of us, particularly but not only the Apache OpenOffice committers, need to look
at where we are already equipped (have the capability at hand) to take action.  It would be
useful to somehow have a roster that allows us all to see what that those capabilities are
in understanding work in progress and helping to be realistic in what our combined efforts
can produce.

And each of us can identify how much capacity we have for carrying out work and report what
that is too.  This is not like promising to do something or create schedules.  It is so we
are clear what the capacity for the project is as a volunteer activity.  And as capacity or
interest changes, that can be kept visible and the project community can adjust however it
is able.

We have skills far beyond those of working on the code (and are probably limited in that important
area), and all of those capacities are important to understand.

I put Capacity/Commitment in the subject and realized that we are not collecting commitments
(although they are welcome when offered).  I think Accountability is the correct term.  I
mean that we provide an account for ourselves and our what we are working on, and do not go
invisible.  It is only in providing an account, so others know the state of affairs.  There
is no judgment being made.  It is all right to change personal plans, have life happen, and
even choose to do something different, whether for the project or not.  It is all right to
fail.  Some will simply proceed with time available and *any* contribution is valuable.  The
account is for mutual visibility and some certainty, not for being assessed.

I think knowing what actions folks are considering and where effort is available is important
to allow us to coordinate among our interests better.