openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some old OOo SVN dumps, of use to anyone?
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 08:42:47 GMT
On 2015-03-03 00:21, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Herbert Duerr <hdu@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Isn't this part of Herbert's big git repo with the whole code history
>>> that it was possible to reconstruct?
>>

>> Yes, my git repository of the AOO/OOo history [1] also contains the import
>> of the then available latest OOo-SVN repo. The old OOo project only used SVN
>> from 2008 to 2009 and though the SVN repo had imported a few CVS branches
>> the most interesting ones (e.g. all the CVS child-workspace branches where
>> the actual development happened between 2003-2008) were dropped during that
>> import and due to the way things were merged many interesting commit details
>> were dropped too.
>> [...]
>
> Any idea why your ZIP is only 2GB, but my dump is 150GB?   Even when I
> zip my svndump file it is still 21GB.   So I wonder if I have
> something different or more than what you have.   Or is git really
> that much more efficient at storing a revision history?

Yes, git can be extremely efficient for preserving code history. 99% of
my 2GB blob consists of such "git pack" file. The zip format of my blob
is mainly to add missing pieces (e.g. tag names, branch names, mailmap,
grafts) and to prepare the directory layout as expected by typical git
tools [1]. The zip-compression is quite irrelevant for the blob. Any
other directory-preserving container would have been fine, but zip is
well known and ubiquitous.

[1]
https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools#Graphical_Interfaces

By the way, I just noticed that the historical blob just contains the
OOo-CVS, OOo-SVN and OOo-HG histories. If needed the AOO history and
maybe the LO history could be added later to get a more complete picture
of all the relationships and interactions.

Herbert