openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Barton ...@tasit.net>
Subject Re: PMC FAQ update
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 13:36:41 GMT
Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 05/03/15 15:04, Louis Su�rez-Potts wrote:

>>> Obviously I wasn't party to the private discussion, but that seems an odd
>>> decision in a community that's so transparent in its intent an
>>> implementation. I suggest the lists of moderators be made available
>>> somewhere because:
>>>
>>>   - The identities of the list moderators seem very hard to determine by
>>>   any other means
>>>   - This mode of contribution gets little enough recognition as it is, and
>>>   the people contributing this way should be recognised.
>>>
>>> Since we have and owner@ to every list, there are no need to publish the
>>>>

>>> There is a private@ list but we still publish the names of the PMC
>>> members...
>>>
>>> S.
>>
>> I agree with Simon.
>>
>> -louis
>>

> I agree that contributions should be recognized but moderator of mailing
> lists is of course a low burner. Keeping the info up-to-date requires
> more work and the benefit is really low.
>
> If somebody want his name listed we can of course do that, I think it is
> not important here and real contributors have their stage somewhere else.
>
> But who knows finding 100 more moderator is potentially easier than
> finding 100 new developers and we can shine with 100 new contributors.
> If we have a limit per list I step back as moderator ;-)
>
> Juergen (still smiling)

OK! One last attempt to clarify and resolve a trivial issue, that has
become clouded in misunderstanding and mistranslated into some kind of
"bike-shedding" subject.

It is _NOT_ about anyone WANTING to be recognised, or having their name
listed somewhere.

It is _NOT_ about limiting the number of moderators and there is no need
for any existing moderators to step back.

There is _NO_ need to show moderators email addresses, the list owner
address works perfectly well.

It is _NOT_ important where the information is made available.

The one and only thing I suggested is that we have a simple, easy way
for any of us to check & ensure that we have adequate list moderator
coverage.

Maintenance of the information is trivial:
1. A new moderator is authorised and at the same time his name is added
to the page.
2. An existing moderator opts-out of the responsibility and at the same
time his name is removed from the page.

Dave (a bit frustrated, but still smiling)