openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Java 8 and AOO
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2015 14:19:47 GMT
On 18/03/15 04:19, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

>> On 17 Mar 2015, at 20:41, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> The problems I've seen reported are apparently all on MacOS.  Something about needing
a legacy Java 6 to work and there is no way for the user to accomplish that, apparently.

>> Are there others?
>>
>> Do you think the message is from AOO instead of the OS?
>>
>> There is also a crasher in Base, apparently, but not certain it is the same situation.
>>
>> {None of this represents deep knowledge on my part.}
>
> FWIW, I use 4.1.1 (dev build, UK English) and Java 8 update 31. I have not experienced
any problems with the Java or with the application. I’m also running Yosemite 10.3.3, a
dev build. That said, nearly all of my use of OpenOffice is in text, presentation, Calc, not
Base, at least not in any interesting way.

> I can walk through the issues described and see what happens….

I can confirm that AOO 4.1.1 on MacOSX 10.9.5 seems to run well with
Java 8 (Oracles jdk-8u40-macosx-x64). I ran a letter wizard (using Java)
and created a new DB. But of course I did not more intensive testing
with the DB.

Juergen