openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache open office on Anroid
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:25:29 GMT

> On 20 Apr 2015, at 13:06, Guy Waterval <waterval.guy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Or have you not noticed that there are
>> precious few native (as opposed to virtualised) open-source productivity
>> tools to be found ready for the enterprise?

to rephrase: productivity software, especially for enterprise, is overwhelmingly dominated
by proprietary apps sold by very large multinational corporations. The apps available are
often "free," as in beer but not free as in speech. They are not open source. It does not
matter if the operating system is Android or iOS or whatever, though there are some differences,
at least in the marginal OSs, which represent a minute fraction of the total used.

What this means is that as tablets (however imagined) are brought into the enterprise (public
or private sector), open source is almost entirely absent. Yes, many apps use open source
languages but so what? The UX model promoted by the smart, mobile device shuts out user intervention,
with some exception, and there seems to be nothing organised that I can see that’s trying
to change this arrangement and make it easier to create, distribute and even promote open
source productivity apps on mobile devices.

Yes, I am aware that tablets are falling out of popularity, but I also am aware that the tablet
as imagined by Apple and incarnated in the iPad, was designed and is still envisioned as a
consumer entertainment device, not as a work device (though that is changing) and that efforts
to insinuate the tablet form factor into enterprise, as Microsoft has tried, have not succeeded.
However, the mobile device is succeeding in areas where investment capital is less visible
and it is likely to be the preferred mode for the billions that will be coming fresh to school,
work, and other areas where computing devices are de rigeur (now or soon). And these users,
in Africa, Latin America, and  the rest of the world, rich or poor, will be using… proprietary
software.

So, although the situation on the desktop (and by this one means also the laptop, of course;
one refers here to the UX not hardware) is generally not bad for open source, that’s not
so for the mobile UX. I doubt very much that Ubuntu or Moz. will put a dent into hard proprietary
wave. What would, however, would be mobile apps that can work smoothly with existing desktop
productivity software installations. Like Corinthia.

best
louis