openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From toki <toki.kant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Two Languages: One ISO-639-# code
Date Tue, 19 May 2015 09:52:09 GMT

On 19/05/2015 08:05, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

>> In testing out various grammar and spell checkers, I've come across a
>> couple of instances, where different languages/dialects share the sam
>> ISO-639-# code.
>
> Can you give an example

ISO 639-1 is xo
ISO 639-2 is xho
ISO 639-3 is xho
Glotolog is xhos1239
ISO 3166-1 ZA / ZAF / 710
ISO 3166-2 ZA-EC

and

ISO 639-1 is xo
ISO 639-2 is xho
ISO 639-3 is xho
Glotolog is mpon1252
ISO 3166-1 ZA / ZAF / 710
ISO 3166-2 ZA-NL
(Please skip the debate about whether or not the enclaves are KwaZulu,
the Eastern Cape, or Lesotho.)

For a slightly different example, I give you Koine Greek and Attic Greek
.
Linguist-List codes them as grc-koi & grc-att, respectively.
ISO 639-2 code is GRC. ISO 639-3 is GRC. No ISO 639-1 code.

I wish all dialects/languages were as accommodating as:
Gottolog lush1251
ISO 639-1 none;
ISO 639-2 none;
ISO 639-3 LUT;
ISO 639-3 SKA;
ISO 639-3 SNO;
ISO 639-3 SLH;
(Note: AFAIK, there are no spell checkers or grammar checkers for those
dialects, for any office suite.)

jonathon