openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject REPORTING Windows 10 Upgrade Issues: BASIC SITUATION
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2015 17:28:18 GMT
We are reading reports of some users being able to edit in OpenOffice after upgrading to Windows
10.  We have not been able to reproduce the situation from that information alone.  Many of
us have upgraded to Windows 10 without difficulty.

If you or someone you know is having this problem show up in OpenOffice, please help us by
working with the Windows 10 computer that is involved.  Reply only to dev@openoffice.apache.org
and not to individuals.  If you reply to me, I will assume that I have permission to post
your reply to this list and personally forward it to the list.

BASIC SITUATION INFORMATION
This is a little lengthy.  It is to obtain just the basics.  Depending on the basic information,
there will be follow-ups to obtain further details.

1. SCOPE OF PROBLEM
   Have you noticed this problem on files other than those you use with OpenOffice?

   If you don't know or if you only use OpenOffice to work on documents, no problem.  If you
can easily determine that this problem goes beyond OpenOffice, it is important to know that.

   If you notice the problem with other files and applications let us know. That is very important.
 Because you are having the difficulty with OpenOffice either way, please go through the remainder
of this procedure anyhow.

1. SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
In Windows 10, right click on the Windows button (leftmost symbol on the task bar), and then
select "System".  Please report the following information from the display that appears.

  Windows edition
    The name of the edition (complete first line below "Windows edition"):

  System
    Processor:
    Installed memory (RAM):
    System type:
    Pen and Touch:

2. OPEN OFFICE CONFIGURATION
   Now left click on the Windows button
   On the left sidebar of the Start display that shows all programs, scroll down to the letter
O where you see a folder named OpenOffice.  If you don't see a list of all programs, click
the "All apps" item at the bottom of the sidebar to show the list.  If you do not see a left
sidebar at all, click the menu button (a stack of three horizontal lines) in the upper-left
corner of the start page.

   What is the full name of that OpenOffice folder (including any version number)?:

   Click on the OpenOffice entry in the all-programs entry.
   In the list that opens up, click on the first entry, for OpenOffice itself.  Do not click
on any of the individual components.
   OpenOffice should open and present its "dashboard" view.
   This provides a white frame including buttons for the six types of documents processed
by OpenOffice.

   At the top of the opened "OpenOffice" window, there is a menu row.  Click on the Help item.
 In the little pop-down list that opens, click "About OpenOffice"  What is the version information
in the "About ... OpenOffice" display that opens up?

   Name and version of the software (e.g., "Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1":

   Rev. number (in line below name and version number) if any (e.g., 1617669):

Click OK on the "About ...OpenOffice" display.

On the dashboard, there is a diagram of a file folder with an arrow emerging from it.  Click
on the down pointer to the right of that image.  (Not the folder, the down pointer).

Do you see a list of the last few documents you worked on?

How many items are in the list (default maximum is 10):

IF THERE ARE NONE, STOP HERE.  Let us know the information requested above and there will
be a follow-up question.

IF THERE ARE ITEMS IN THE LIST, CONTINUE.

The items in the list are numbered.  This information will be important later.  Write down
the numbers and the full names of the files at each number.  You may have to put your mouse
over any name that has been abbreviated to see the full name. The full names are important
for forensic work.

PLEASE REVIEW ALL OF THE QUESTIONS BELOW SO YOU CAN WORK THROUGH THE LIST ONLY ONCE:

How many will open by clicking on their filenames in that list (do this in reverse order)?:

(This is about opening in any mode, editable or not.  To go through them one at a time, you
will have to close the opened one without attempting any changes, then re-open OpenOffice
to try the next one.)

This procedure cannot open a file that has been moved from where it was last used in OpenOffice.
 OpenOffice will report this.  How many of those are there?

How many of those open with no problem and no indication they cannot be edited?:

How many of those that open are identified as being read-only or not editable?:

How do you determine that they are not editable?

That is, what is the indication in the opened-document window.  Is it the same for all of
the documents that open read-only?

Include the list of documents that open but that are not editable.  The follow-up will ask
you to narrow in on those files to see what about them is a problem.

THAT'S MANY QUESTIONS

When we see your response, we will have other questions about the locations of those documents,
or of other OpenOffice documents that you tried to open that are not on that list of recent
documents.

Thank you for reporting your difficulty.  Your answers will be instrumental in helping us
to narrow down the case to where we can identify its origin and provide a work-around.

 - Dennis