openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Section styles?
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2015 19:33:58 GMT
Rory, concerning difficulties setting styles on sections,

Do you mean you used multiple sections or did you make multiple copies of the same section?

I am not clear how OpenOffice handles the copying of sections as well as linking of one section
for content/styles of another.

The ODF 1.2 specification definitely allows section-level styling.  The styles that are allowed
at the section level are the "text" styles and also a <style:section-properties> element
that provides some margin, color, background, and column controls as part of a section style.

The question now becomes whether or not any of the OpenOffice.org descendants allow section
styles to be specified and what do they do with an ODF document that uses them?

(You may read in various places that OpenOffice and LibreOffice provide full implementations
of ODF.  I see those claims too.  I don't make them.)

 - Dennis

ANALYSIS

In the ODF 1.2 specification, section 5.4 on <text:section> elements stipulates that

  "Sections specify formatting properties for a region
   Of text or text that is automatically acquired
   From an external data source or document, or another
   Text section."

The <text:section> start tag may have a <text:style-name> attribute for introducing
a named style at the section level.  That style name specifies a "section family style" for
a section.

However, the style:family attribute does not have "section" as a specifiable family in the
text of section 19.476, although the schema does define "section" as a specifiable value.
 Furthermore, section 16.28.3 specifies how to tell a section style, but nothing about what
they might have in them.  However, section 16.27.28 on the <style:text-properties> element
specifies that this element can specify formatting properties for text and for sections.
It can be used with a <style:style> definition element of style:family="section" then.