openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hi!
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2015 21:43:48 GMT
On 04/08/2015 jeffrey crowder wrote:
> I'm unsure if I am able to use
> OpenOffice as you are under the Apache license, I am under the Mozilla
> Public License version 2.0, the reason being is (only fitting) that my
> project/program is a web browser.

Hi, the short answer to this is yes (i.e., you can use code under the
Apache License, such as the OpenOffice code, in a MPL project). That
said, if you are writing your code from scratch I don't see any specific
reasons (other than personal interests and beliefs) for preferring a
license over another; honestly I don't see any reasons for using the
OpenOffice code in a web browser either.

Well, good luck with your project and have fun! Should your personal
project become a mature free and open source project with code and
community, you may consider to bring it to Apache one day: you can read
more at http://incubator.apache.org/

And if you have some time left for working on OpenOffice, we always
welcome new volunteers! See
https://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html for more.

Regards,
   Andrea.