openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: AOO -> LO or MS O
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:48:54 GMT
There are users who will find the political drama compelling.  There is nothing to be done
about that.  It does not make the product better and it distracts those who want to find ways
to serve the broad community no matter what code base is being worked on.

The asymmetrical situation around licenses is a factor, although what matters more to users
is how that shows up in what they have in their hands to use.

I found the greatest value in the linked article to be about the fairly balanced view of the
three productivity-suite options, assuming that the reader is on a platform where all are
available.

It seems to me that the greatest concern to this community is the practical experience users
are and will have and how this project can serve those concerns, especially with regard to
assured usability of present documents and also the skills that have been developed in working
with them.

 - Dennis

PS: On the interoperable-use challenge lurking in the article,

The historical business was too long and not so meaningful to user needs compared to the --
important for us -- slow but steady divergence of the two OpenOffice.org descendants not so
much in features and release cadence but core functions around format conversion/interchange.
 That divergence is eroding common support for the ODF format and OOXML interchange (i.e.,
functioning in a world where Microsoft Office documents cannot be ignored).  Incompatibilities
at that level impede interoperable multi-product and cross-platform use where that is important.

One of the greatest appeals of the OpenOffice.org family is the presence of consistent cross-platform
support not available anywhere else (yet) in conjunction with the ODF format.  This appeals
to civil authorities and institutions not just for economy under actual user conditions (which
may or may not be achievable as promised in a particular situation).

The free ODF/OOXML-supporting products matter for durable preservation and interchange of
documents, especially those employed in public services, without *requiring* use of commercial
software as institutions move to delivery of services and coordination with the public by
digital means.  Substitutability has been promoted to those organizations as a safeguard for
adoption of these products.