openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: AOO -> LO or MS O
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 13:54:08 GMT

On 09/03/2015 08:33 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> "After LibreOffice came out, Oracle released one version of Oracle Open
> Office before deciding that the project wasn’t worth the effort
> <http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2011/04/oracle-gives-up-on-ooo-after-community-forks-the-project/>.
> It laid off the programmers and gave the code and trademarks to the Apache
> Software Foundation, under Apache’s liberal open source license."
>
> That's one version of events. Another version of events is this.
> http://pages.citebite.com/e7v0f3m9sder
>
> "Shuttleworth has a fairly serious disagreement with how the
> OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice split came about. He said that Sun made a $100
> million "gift" to the community when it opened up the OpenOffice code. But
> a "radical faction" made the lives of the OpenOffice developers "hell" by
> refusing to contribute code under the Sun agreement. That eventually led to
> the split, but furthermore led Oracle to finally decide to stop OpenOffice
> development and lay off 100 employees."
>
> That's different from "deciding it was not worth the effort".
>
> Why the FUD on a dev list, anyway?

It's not FUD. It's a link to an article.

What would be awesome is if someone would write a counterpoint, which is
non-confrontational, non-rageful, non-hateful, and non-reactionary, but
just calmly presenting the reasons why someone might want to stay on
OpenOffice.

Refuting the article on this list, where we all already know the story,
is a good start, but if you could turn it into an article that's less
political, more practical (features, community, timelines, and so on),
that would actually help our cause. The person asking the original
question doesn't care about politics, hurt feelings, and "radical
factions", I guarantee. They want to know which product is better for
them, now, and in the long term.

Thanks.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon