openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] SUSTAINABILITY: The AOO PMC
Date Wed, 09 Sep 2015 07:25:27 GMT
On 09/09/2015 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> the only nominee to step forward had been on the PMC six months

I don't see this as a major issue. I mean, it was the third Chair
election of the year (and it was still August), it came unexpected and
we had seen painful nomination/acceptance/declination stories in the
previous months;  I believe this is the reason why people, knowing that
you were already available, did not jump in and nominate themselves.

> That Chair-elect will retire in September, 2016.

OK, this is very useful for proper planning.

>    2015-08-23 Jan Iverson retired

Iversen!

> The complete PMC membership history is available at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/pmc/project-state/2015-09-08-PMC-MembershipStatus.pdf

This is an excellent document. I've checked it and indeed this one is
much better and (as soon as you have the privileges for doing so, which
should be a matter of days now, Board Meeting is next week)
http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#openoffice-pmc
should definitely be aligned to it. Your file has better information.

> ACTION PLAN
> Collect and maintain materials on everything that involves a Chair

There is nothing special for OpenOffice in this respect. So adding
questions/answers to http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html will suffice
(but that page is already very comprehensive).

> September 2016 PMC have at least three able and available candidates for recommendation
as new Chair

As for having 3 people who would have the minimal knowledge to act as
Chair, I think we already have them, and PMC involvement in Chair duties
will be enough. I don't see the need to have 3 or more candidates (i.e.,
it is important to have people with the right knowledge, it is not
important that all of them run for election): it might happen that,
implicitly or explicitly, the viable candidates find consensus on one of
them.

Regards,
   Andrea.