openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ODF Plugfest: participation and leaflets
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2015 03:06:16 GMT
Hi all,
Comments inline.

> On 03 Sep 15, at 16:24, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> As we discussed some weeks ago, the next ODF Plugfest will be held in The Hague, Netherlands,
mid-September:
> http://plugfest.opendocumentformat.org/2015-thehague/programme/
>
> There are three issues that require attention in a very short time. Deadline is 8 September
when not otherwise specified.

> 1) Is anyone going in the end? We discussed this at length. I've never considered going
since it overlaps with another event I'm scheduled to attend. Dennis and Roberto were both
mentioned (and Dennis later clarified he is busy in the US). Of course if someone goes we
can still discuss to allocate a budget from our events fund.

The event somewhat overlaps with a personal engagement but that may be negotiable. It depends
on how much subsidy we have to support this very late trip—of mine, I mean. I’d be coming
from Toronto, Canada. A quick price check via Orbitz reveals that for a flight via the dodgy
Air Transat the cost (R/T) would be about 740 USD. Include an Airbnb room—don’t know how
much that would be but probably not that much, though still, for three days, at leasts 150
USD, and probably more. (I’m guessing the Hague is costly.) Besides Air Transat, the average
price for airfare to AMS is about 1300 USD; to the Hague (Rotterdam) 500 USD more or so. I’m
guessing a train trip from AMS is cheaper.

I’ve been to several of these events, including, I think, the initiating one. I know ODF
fairly well, was on the Oasis TCs, etc. (I quit them a couple of years ago.) The drawback
for me going is I’m not developing ODF or for ODF and though I can certainly represent AOO’s
continued interest in furthering usage of ODF, not to mention other Apache projects’ ODF
work, to some extent I’ll be mostly competent at relaying speech.

> 2) I was contacted (for no special reason; I've never attended a Plugfest) by Basil Cousins
of Openforum Europe, who gave me permission to forward his request here, about updating a
leaflet for the next ODF Plugfest. The 2014 version is here:
> http://openforumeurope.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/OFE-COIS-DFD-ODF-Open-Document-Principles-for-Government-Technology-March-2015.pdf
> and there is also an infographic available at http://www.openforumeurope.org/library/odf-toolkit-2/
> Can you please suggest content updates to this leaflet? Basil in is CC. We can discuss
updates on this list and then one of us, ideally someone who attends the event, can send the
final comments to Basil. The part needing more attention is the Applications Choices section
on page 5.

I can look at it, too. But others, here, can surely weigh in. I think we have talent to enhance
this, no?

> 3) For this leaflet they also ask for a contribution for printing. One can support printing
the English version (addressed to UK government), the Dutch version (addressed to Dutch government)
or both. The contribution is 100 GBP (so about 135 EUR or 150 USD) for each edition. If you
feel it would be useful, I assume that the fund for events and merchandising could be used
to support this. Please state if you propose that we allocate budget and, in case it's a yes,
if you'd rather contribute to the English version or both versions.

I think it would be money well spent.

Note. This ODF Plugfest brings together some rather important players form the UK, which is
supposedly tending toward it. Independent of any particular implementation’s concerns or
desires, it is, as Roberto G. pointed out, important that there be *real* solid interest in
working with the government to satisfy their mandate.

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

-best
louis