openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache replacement
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:14:50 GMT
donaldupre . wrote:
> What does it take to buy back OpenOffice from Apache?
> I'm sure there are commercial entities that will be happy to develop it.

Those entities can ask their employees to contribute to OpenOffice, and
help shape the project with their contributions. This addresses all
items in your list (then some of them are debatable, but I'm not going
to discuss them in detail).

The license allows companies to create derivative products and choose
distribution terms for those, as Damjan noted. The trademark policy
regulates how a company can use the "OpenOffice" trademark in
derivatives. All information you need is available on, or from, the
http://openoffice.apache.org/ website.

I'll just note that none of the actions you list is incompatible with
Apache: the company contributes their employees' time to the project and
profits by selling support, or additional services, or customized
versions. This is very common and successful in other Apache projects.
If you have contacts with interested companies, just ask them to come to
this list and start contributing!

Regards,
   Andrea.