openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Another Comments question.
Date Sat, 07 May 2016 15:11:49 GMT
In the ODF 1.2 Specification, an annotation can be set to visible or not but there is no provision
for a condition on the annotation being visible or not.  Technically, some or all of the text
in the comment could be conditionally hidden, since it can be any paragraph or run of text
content.

One limitation of the ODF 1.2 specification where it allows conditional hiding is that there
is no description for how the "Boolean formula" in such a condition is specified.  That is,
in the ODF 1.2 specification, we only know that it is a string.

So there are three problems:

 1. Learning whether the hidden text control works in the content of an annotation.

 2. Learning what the form of the condition is if it is supported, because it will be OpenOffice
implementation-specific.

 3. Learning how to determine the user name of someone viewing a document, not even editing
the document, and specifying it in whatever the notation for (2) is.

I suspect there is no provision for (3) even if (1-2) can be figured out.  It would also be
problematic because it will be operating-system and ODF implementation-dependent.  For example,
a way to see all of the comments would be to open the document in Microsoft Office.  If it
preserves the annotation, it is unlikely to honor (2-3) and not hide anything.

Personally, I'm not keen on increasing ways of burying covert content into ODF documents.
 The threat surface is bad enough already, especially with AOO allowing digital signing of
documents that have hidden content the signer may be ignorant of.

 - Dennis