openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL][API][WINDOWS]Whether Common Spelling API can be implemented
Date Fri, 27 May 2016 05:04:45 GMT

Remarks in-line

[orcmid]

The request was that the spell-checking functionality of Apache OpenOffice be made available
in some manner via CSAPI on Windows, so other Windows applications could make use of the different
language lexicons that are distributed as (third-party) Apache OpenOffice extensions.

> See https://hunspell.github.io/
[orcmid]

Apache OpenOffice can include Hunspell (under the MPL 1.1 option) in binary form only.  If
it is installed as part of the official Apache OpenOffice distributions, it does not appear
to be in a form where it is available for use by other programs.

The lexicons are separate.

> I recently came across something that Firefox and Open office were set
> to share their spell checker.
> That would be nice.
[orcmid]

We use third-party lexicons.  We are not part of arrangements by which other parties use (forms
of) them too.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no joint activity between the projects, although AOO
code could be adapted, if useful, without our having to know about it.

> Howard
> I have examined some of the materials available for the CSAPI.

[ ... ]